Embraced by the beauty of the Rideau Canal and inlets, The Glebe community is home to all walks of life and reflects the heart and soul of Ottawa.
Bank Street is the commercial hub meeting the needs of bustling and laid back residents alike, offering grocery stores, coffee shops, dance and yoga studios, music shops, post offices, bookstores, cinemas, and restaurants.
Lansdowne Park, distinguished by the Cattle Castle circa 1898, is a gathering place for all Ottawans. Public playgrounds and a vast array of eateries are plentiful. The expansive park is home to outdoor concerts, CFL football, hockey, agricultural events, the farmer’s market and New Year’s eve celebratory fireworks.
The annual ‘Great Glebe Garage Sale’ attracts thousands of bargain hunters to the community the last Saturday of May. Sellers donate a portion of the proceeds to a designated charity.
Originally Christian churchland, the first Glebe residents were english speaking social activists. Excellent schools and churches attracted families. The introduction of street cars on Bank Street in 1891 attracted wealthy residents and spurred urban development and diversified architecture. Noffke designed eclectic style homes around Patterson’s Creek and the Baker House on Brown’s inlet in 1890. Victorian and Edwardian designed homes appeared between 1904-1920 and later, south of Glebe Collegiate, the classic homes of David Younghusband. As homes age and the appetite for new construction grows, many cherished homes make way for infill development.